It also give the house the aroma of fresh baked goodies first thing in the morning, a great motivation to get moving on a lazy weekend morning.
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min
Total time: 50 min
Yield: 2-3 servings
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 cups bread cubes
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1 large pear, peeled, cored and cubed
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine brown sugar and butter. Heat, stirring frequently until melted. Stir in water. Set aside to cool down.
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 1.5 quart casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Add bread (for me it took 9 slices of ciabatta bread), pecans, and pears to the egg mixture. Mix to evenly coat the bread. Allow to soak for 5-10 minutes, until the bread has absorbed the majority of the egg mixture.
- Pour the brown sugar-butter mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Add the bread mixture. I sprinkled the top with 1 tbsp. of sugar in the raw.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, until the top is browned and the center is set.