Today, I dodged chairs flying at my head, broke up fist fights, and have teeth marks in my arm. I also had my death described to me in detail while trying to convince a 4 year old to just lay still on her cot at nap time.
Today I deserve the Redbox movie I rented, the pint of Ben & Jerry’s Half Baked, and the pizza that I picked up on my way home. Even though it is filled with brownies and cookie dough, it just wasn’t enough to erase my day, it needed more. So I whipped up a small batch of salted caramel sauce to pour all over it.
Salted Caramel Sauce can improve anybody’s bad day. You. Must. Try. It.
(makes approximately 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice (optional)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. fleur de sel or other flaky sea salt
- Place the sugar and water in a large sauce pan.
- Heat over medium heat until sugar just reaches a caramel color.
- Add in butter. Swirl until melted. Lower the heat.
- Stir in lemon juice and cream, stirring continuously until smooth.
- Stir in salt.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Can be stored in the fridge for a week, reheat when ready to use again. (keeps for up to 2 weeks)