I’ll let you in on a secret – I’m jealous of those of you who just wing it. I have the ability to pull random items from my fridge, freezer, and pantry and create a great meal. But when I go to do something like that, I end up just staring into the abyss that is my fridge and accomplish nothing. Those nights usually end up with a quick trip to Domino’s for a pizza.
On the rare moments when I get a few free minutes to myself, I can often be found reading a few different foodie blogs with the help of the wonderful site, BlogLovin’, participating in America’s Test Kitchen, Cook’s Country Fans Facebook Group, staring at Pinterest, or looking through random cookbooks. (I may have a slight obsession with food.) I keep my notebook nearby so that I can jot down recipes titles or ideas that I would like to come back to in the future with my mealing planning.
Meal planning used to take me a couple hours once a month to get the entire month planned out. Now, not-so-much. While my children are napping is a perfect time to spread out my monthly dinner calendar, my weekly chart, my laptop, my notebook, and the rare cookbook or magazine that I may have laying around. With any luck, my kids will nap long enough that I can at least get the monthly dinner plan together. Today I was lucky in the fact that I got both the monthly plan and my weekly plan completed. I feel accomplished. Yay me!
If you have nothing in your pantry and are buying all the items for this week’s menu, your out of pocket costs for a family of 4 to eat 84 meals plus desserts at home would be under $240, or less than $2.86 a serving. You can use Ibotta rebates, Coupons.com (often good for FREE fruit, FREE bread, and/or FREE eggs), and trusty old paper coupons to save even more money. With about 30 minutes of effort and shopping early to hit the clearance meats, I manage to save about $60 off my grocery bill each week, bringing my total bill to around $180.
Now for the reason you’re here, the meal ideas for the week…
- Best French Toast, 1/2 a grapefruit
- Maple Oatmeal with blueberries
- Breakfast Tacos with chorizo, grapes
- Sausage Gravy and Biscuits, oranges
- Bagels with cream cheese, bananas
- Scrambled eggs with cheese & salsa
- Crepes with Red Raspberry filling
- Hot roast beef sandwiches with cheese and horseradish spread, celery sticks with peanut butter
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup with crackers
- Southwestern Apple Radish Salad
- Chicken Salad with grapes and slivered almonds
- Nacho with cheese and salsa, grapes
- Yogurt, fresh veggies, crackers with peanut butter
- Buffalo Chicken Dip with Tostitos, oranges
- Indoor BBQ Chicken, baked potatoes with butter, sour cream, & cheese, corn
- Meatball Slider Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Mexican Pork Tostados
- left overs
- Salmon with honey & lime, seasoned rice, lima beans
- Cast Iron Chocolate Chip Cookie
- White Chocolate Chip & Cherry Brownies
- Chewy Sugar Cookies