Good to Have Kitchen Items-Unlike the essentials, these are very handy and good to have items but not highly necessarily as you can “make do” with items from above. Most of these items have been recommended by America’s Test Kitchen (ATK), none of these products are any form of sponsor for this site.
A 5 1/2 quart enameled cast iron Dutch Oven. Necessary for certain recipes. Or a 4 1/2 Quart by Lodge for a much more wallet-friendly price.
- Large Roasting Pan with rack. This is great if you have a family and roast a lot of meat. This particular one holds up to a 25lb turkey. I love this rack because it allows for easy removal of the meat to transfer to a board for resting and carving. Most smaller cuts of meat can be roasted in a standard 9×13 baking dish.
- Counter Top Griddle. Great for pancakes, multiple grilled cheese sandwiches, or breakfast for a crowd. Many newer griddles have one major drawback…they are slightly domed to help remove excess grease from food, which is not ideal when trying to cook thin batters.
- Biscuit Cutters Handy to have for delicious homemade biscuits but a round cookie cutter, donut cutter, or even a drinking glass can be used to cut out biscuits. There are also recipes for Drop Biscuits which are just as delicious.
- 9-inch Round Cake Pan – You need 2 or 3 of these for layer cakes.
- Square Cake Pan – Ideal for thicker brownies, small cakes, and many other desserts
- Glass 9×13 Baking Dish. Great for numerous oven dishes from sweet to savory. I have 3 because they are used frequently in my kitchen. However if you have the broiler safe one from my Essentials List, this is just for convenience.
- Rimless Baking Sheet. Handy for baking and allows more air circulation around cookies, which is helpful for some cookies. Nice to have but not a necessity as a rimmed baking sheet will still do a satisfactory job. I absolutely love mine and use them more than my rimmed baking sheets.
- 9×13 Cake Pan
- 1-lb loaf pan Gives smaller loaves the necessary rise so your loaves aren’t short and squatty.
- Pie Drip Catcher Highly necessary to protect your oven if you bake pies
- Pie Server Great for dishing up sliced pie, round cakes, and pizza.
- Mandoline. Makes quick work of slicing. Very nice when slicing large quantities of something.
- Meat Pounder. I’ve been known to pound meat thin using my rolling pin, but this ensures more evenly smashed meat.